Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Shaping a Surfboard - Take 1

A few weeks ago I had my first day in the shaping room over at Greenlight Surf Supply in Belmar, NJ. What a shit ton of fun. Shaping is something I could do for years and never fully understand. Definitely hard as fuck but really fun. Unfortunately, the planer wasn't working so I had to do all the thinning by hand and completely fucked the thing up but that's ok, fucking up is how I learn.

Making a template off of an online printout. The other side is crayon rubbed off a board I like.


Both templates ready to go. Left is a 6'4" semi-retro/semi-modern. Right is a 6'2" Lis inspired retro.


Decided to go with the 6'4" and a blank with fairly flat rocker for speed. This thing probably won't love the steep takeoffs but on a wall it should be fun.


Hand sawed the rough outline


Here's the progress at the end of the day. Happily, this pile of shit is getting turned into a mini-Simmons for some lucky person.

No comments:

Post a Comment